Autumn by Ali Smith #ManBookers2017

I really enjoyed reading Autumn by Ali Smith, but I still don’t know what it is about. Media coined it as the first Brexit novel but Smith covered more ground the just Brexit. She uses the classical literature, philosophy, mystical historical characters to hide her real message.

Although I am big fan of my Kindle but when Ali Smith comes out with a book, always buy the hard copy. I love how she uses the spaces and length of book. It feels like you are reading a piece of art rather than just a book. The book cover looks like hand painted scene of Autumn that sets you in mood of the autumn. The fonts are big like poetry books and she does not use spaces economically as if she wants to live those lines, rather than just read them.

Autumn in-fact is not a stand alone book. It is part of the four season books which will release soon ( Winter is already announced ) . When you read this book, Smith makes sure that you feel that you are reading a book from a author who is master of her craft.

Friendship, old age, literature, art, politics, refugees – this book is about so much and yet about nothing. I rated Autumn by Ali Smith 4 out of 5 stars in the goodreads and is very strong contender to win this year’s big prize.

‘I am taking My Alexa rank to the next level with Blogchatter‘

52 Comments Add yours

1. I want the hard copy of the book too now
    To enjoy that art and words combination

1. Absolutely- You will help the experience of going through these pages 🙂 . Thank you for stopping by

2. Obsessivemom says:

That cover looks gorgeous. Now I want to look up and see what the book is about.

1. Yes, it is indeed gorgeous- go ahead and treat yourself with it- you will love it for sure 🙂

3. Thank you for the recommendation. I’m always looking for new authors, and this sounds intriguing.

1. Hi- I am glad you found my recommendation useful 🙂

4. Loved the front page. Looks beautiful. Thanks for recommending this. Going to check out.

5. Sounds like an interesting book! The cover is so beautiful that it makes me want to grab a copy!

1. It is – I am certain you will enjoy it 🙂

6. Akshata Ram says:

That seems quite an intriguing read. Though I love my kindle the joy of reading a paperback is something else

1. Yes , some writers make paper pack books more worth a buy than just ebooks 🙂

7. ashiot says:

The theme and treatment sound interesting.

8. Anchal says:

Gorgeous cover. It seems to be a good book. Will check it out for sure.

1. Sure , give it a try . Thank you for stopping by

9. Disha says:

Sounds interesting read. Will have to get the book for reading now!

1. Great – will look forward to hear your views on the book once you read it 🙂

10. Aesha says:

seems intersting. i am a bot old school and like the smell of the book so I an going to buy the book and read. I am not a kindle reader.

Liked by 1 person

1. I enjoy both hard copies and kindle as well- there is some romance left for the smell of the book 🙂

Liked by 1 person

11. I completely understand the urge to buy a hardcopy even when there’s a kindle version of the book available!

1. Thank you Diya.. Hope you get your copy soon 🙂

12. Vinay Leo R. says:

a book I have wanted to read. 🙂 will buy the hard copy when I can. thank you for the thoughts!

1. Great to know that you were looking to read this book.

13. mahekg says:

Your review makes me feel this book is very promising. A great read.

14. Ruchie says:

This seems really interesting book …

15. TheMomSagas says:

The cover page itself is so attractive. Seems to be an awesome read.

16. The randomness with which you explain the book really entices me to put this book in my TBR list. At the risk of being repetitive – yes the book cover is surely very attractive. And the concept of a four season series very interesting.

1. Thank you Anupriya- I am glad you liked my review 🙂

17. Modern Gypsy says:

Sounds like a great book. Somehow I’ve never read Ali Smith. I guess it’s time to remedy that!

1. Yes you must try her books – you shall enjoy them 🙂

18. momsmethods says:

Looks like a good read and loved the vibrant cover as well.. adding it to my reading list

19. sonia_pfc says:

Thanks for for the recommendation.. I love reading handheld/ physical books. Would love to explore the writings of different writers

20. Thank you for introducing me to a good author Ali Smith

1. Your welcome . I am sure you will enjoy it

21. The cover looks interesting, hope you enjoyed the book.

1. Yes I did/ thank you for your comment

22. ʞɐ says:

The book sounds interesting.
    Adding to my to-read list.

Well written, btw. 😁

1. ʞɐ says:

You’re welcome. 🙂

23. Being a book lover I enjoy reading ONLY through hard copy – and thank you for introducing to a new book. Looks good.

24. aseemrastogi2 says:

The cover looks really beautiful :).

Liked by 1 person

25. Hi Avinash! I thoroughly enjoyed your book review. The brevity of it without losing out on the essence of the book. Your review does create interest in the readers towards the book. Autumn sure does look like a intriguing and enigmatic read. Thanks for those great recommendation. Will buy and read it soon. I invite you to read my blogposts at https://thetinaedit.com/. Hope to see you there soon. Cheers!

Liked by 1 person

1. Thanks a ton Tina. I appreciate your comment and also will look out for your blog

Liked by 1 person

1. Great! Looking forward to it! Have a great weekend. Cheers!

Liked by 1 person

26. I am a sucker for anything British. I am going to look these books up and try reading one of her books.

1. So am I- yes do try her books . Thank you for your comment 🙂

27. opinionatedmua says:

The joy of reading from a book can never be replaced by Kindle. 🙂 Adding this book to ‘To Read’ list and subscribing to your blog for more books. 🙂

28. This was my first read of Ali Smith, though I’ve been aware of her work for a very long time. I’m unsure what it was about too, I found it somewhat cryptic with a scattering of insights and reflections, that moving back and forth in time, the age disparity and all the modern/classic references, it had a bit of everything. Winter awaits.