2016- Half Yearly Books Report

Half year-reading challenge

2016 is running in a Jet speed. As I am writing this post, we are in July that means half of the year is gone in no time. Good things is that I still have my gym membership (which i took last month realizing that June is the new January when it comes to New Years resolution) and have a decent pace towards my reading goals.

It is my 4th straight year of signing goodreads annual reading challenge. I find this challenge very motivating and meaningful. I started in 2013 with the modest target of 25 books. My aim was to read 2 quality books a month. I revised the target to 36 books for coming year which I comfortably achieved in the successive years and I also managed to revised the targets to 45 in mid year.

Reading Challenge- past years

This year I have managed 23 books so far. I always try to keep a good mix of Fiction, non fiction & graphic novels in my reading. ย Here are the list of my books in 2016 so far.

RC books- 2016

Favorite Fiction book of the mid-year– ย It definitely should be The Martian. It had all the great tropes of a good novel- research, plot, characters, humor, story arches & literally out of the world complications. Too bad I had not read The Catcher in the Rye before and it takes the grade.

Favorite Non-Fiction book of the mid-year: Elon Musk‘s biography is amazing read- maybe because I am big admirer of his work. Similarly I loved Korma, Kheer and Kishmet– travel/food story based in old Delhi but if I have to pick one, I will pick Jhumpa Lahiri’s “In Other Words“.

Favorite Graphic/comic book of the mid-year:ย There is no contest here. Alan Moore’s “Batman- The Killing Joke” is one of the best comic books ever. Don’t miss it if you are a Batman fan.

What am I reading right now ? : Zen & The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert M Pirsig.

Friends, do tell me about your reading in 2016 and your favorite books this year.

Happy Reading

13 Comments Add yours

1. wow you are one voracious reader…. i am sure you will surpass your target this year too…

1. Thank you Prasad. Thank you for your kind words. I will hopefully revise my target to 45 for this year.

2. S says:

I hate you. How can you read so much!! I have so many books on my bedside table that I nibble at. And here you are taking big gulps and burping for everyone to see.

1. Wow, I was not expecting that reaction :P. I am sure you will read many books this year-give it some time.

1. S says:

Hehe…I was very hungry when I wrote that ๐Ÿ˜€

2. I totally believe you ๐Ÿ˜›

3. Ruma Dak says:

Awesome! Last year I had target of 52 I think which I could not finish. Rather than getting demoralised, I challenged myself and my target is 75 for this year! And I am on track! TBH, I am really obsessed and spend every spare minute reading!

1. I totally get that. I can understand your obsession with it. Though my target is even less than half of yours’, I never move without a book or my kindle and read even if i get 10 minutes to spare. All the best and keep inspiring by reading 75 this year ๐Ÿ™‚

Liked by 1 person

1. Ruma Dak says:

4. pranju says:

Martian has also been my favorite book till now for this year but I fear it is soon going to get vanquished by Frankenstein.

1. Yeah it is an amazing book. I hope we both would read more amazing books this year ๐Ÿ™‚

Cheers

5. Alok Singhal says:

I like than ‘June is new January’ punchline. It’s never too late ๐Ÿ™‚

Good luck with the 2nd half!

1. Thank you Alok. Cheers