Nothing this year made any sense. 2014 was suppose to be epic. A landmark year in the stories of our lives. Our generation were suppose to rave about it in years to come. But what we got in return was pretty average and non-significant, where promises were big and delivery was lame. Last month, Idea’s IIN commercial aired on the television. That commercial summed up the year for me:Simple, straight and worthless. A kid who escaped his years of puberty to prove his father that one need not be in IIT to look awkward and constipated in public places.There were so many hidden messages in the advertisement that it started making sense of the year 2014. (Watch the commercial if you have not yet) :
1. IIN is the metaphoric representation of Amit Shah as IIN knows everything and you can learn a lot when you are around it (meanwhile it is learning about you). IIN, like Amit Shah, is the invisible force that is behind the biggest events of the year.
2. Idea’s creative team and agency represented Rajdeep Sardesai. Like his shameless efforts to sell his book in the spirit of “whatever it takes”, Idea tried to prove it’s exclusibility to internet and superiority over other networks by just bragging about the utility of internet. Worked for Rajdeep, will work of Idea.
3. The talking drone represented Manoj Kumar’s Kaleidoscopic Hanuman Chalisa yantra. Like all the problems in the life could be solved by wearing the yantra (beware of the counterfeit product. Watch out for Manoj Kumar’s picture on the box), talking drone bridged the gap between a baker father and ambitious son. Also, the son got a platform to rise up as a love-child of Steve Jobs and Tim Cook and also feature in TOI front page along with Deepika Padukone’s cleavage.
4. The father’s ambition matched the ambition of Arvind Kejriwal’s. Father was like, “If you can’t make it to IIT, start working in my bakery”. In Arvind’s version, “If no Lokpal in 1 month, no need to be CM (because he have already made it to IIT).
5. Absence of Abhishek Bachchan represented the quality of movies released this year led by Happy New Year and selection of Youngistaan in the Oscar long-list.
6. Germany won the football World cup and ISIS rose to power. World has an Official Yoga Day, our Prime Minsiter quoted Star Wars in a public event in US, Shrinivasan is still the head of ICC, India has a major Hockey/football/cricket/badminton/tennis/Kabaddi league, ISRO launched the mission to Mars and Moons, and Idea still things Drone is the new stuff. ( I am not judging)
And I thought Airtel makes the worst commercial.